Re: Job Selection Dilemma-Decision Made

Subject: Re: Job Selection Dilemma-Decision Made
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:36:07 -0600

> Changing jobs is one of
> life's major decisions. It's wise to proceed carefully and fully evaluate
> an offer before accepting OR rejecting it.

It's certainly an important decision that should be made carefully, though
the job market has changed sufficiently that changing companies no longer
has the kind of impact it used to. Employers don't control employees'
destinies anymore. The world, and its workforce, is much more mobile now.
That won't change even if unemployment goes up--the employee/employer
relationship has forever changed.

> Job hopping or reneging after accepting an offer
> is not a cool thing to have a reputation for.

Getting a bad rap goes both ways. I will certainly not go out of my way to
recommend this company to others based on the recruiter's attitude. One of
my former hiring manager's reputation's is completely trashed as an employer
because she goes through contractors like water. All the contracting
companies know her and don't like to place folks with her.

If I remember correctly, someone on this very list explained that employers
sometimes interview people to just feel things out, or interview and then
back out because budgets change (apologies if I'm slightly mis-stating).
I've also read stories about people who accepted offers and gave notice only
to be told that their new job isn't really waiting for them after all. So
who's behaving badly here? Common sense and courtesy go both ways.

> I always make it a point to evaluate carefully and NEVER renege after
> accepting an offer.

Not being psychic, I couldn't evaluate my two offers against each other. The
second came literally out of the blue from a former co-worker, and frankly,
it *was* a once-in-a-lifetime offer.

It's great if life happens in such a way that everything falls into place in
the best order for all concerned, but that ain't why they call it life. <g>

Lisa

> Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based
Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
>
> Sponsored by 4Translation.com, Language Translation Simplified.
> Instant on line quotations and free samples available for technical
> documentation. http://www.4translation.com Any File...Any
Language...Anytime

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: liwright -at- uswest -dot- net
leave-techwr-l-31081M -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com