RE: Interesting Product Review - Reading the Manual

Subject: RE: Interesting Product Review - Reading the Manual
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:56:41 +1000

Gerry Gaffney wrote:

> I don't believe there is anything we can do to 'to encourage ... users [to]
> read the manuals we create', other than making them as useful, short and
> accessible as possible. If we do the same with our software, then we give
> users what they deserve - usable, well-constructed software supported by
> useful, well-designed documentation (and world peace).

Dang! Right on! (Write on?)

Well said, Gerry, and you can add my 20+ years in software development,
training and documentation in support of it. (Except the bit about world
peace, although it is no doubt as difficult to achieve as "perfect"
software!)

I would also add this. Forget about encouraging users to "read" your manuals.
Don't write for "readers." Write for users.

Mike West
Melbourne, Australia