Publishing Books Online

Subject: Publishing Books Online
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:46:50 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

A few months ago there was a discussion of whether there is any
supporting evidence for publishing books online. Just thought I'd
post the following quote from fairly successful Java book author Bruce
Eckel, about the online copy of his _Thinking In Java_ (from
http://www.bruceeckel.com/notes.html):

Why do you put your books on the Web? How can you make any money
that way?

I think we're clearly in the brave new world of the Internet
here, and as far as I know I may be the first to do what I did --
publish the book as I was developing it, and leave it as a free
book in perpetuity, after it was printed. Personally, I was
prepared to have low sales but the book brought people to my web
site and to the CD Rom and seminars, so I felt it was worth the
risk. Prentice Hall did a low first printing because they were
worried about the online book cannibalizing sales. However, this
book has done better than all the other books I've written -- for
the first time I've gotten royalty checks that have made a
difference (book publishing in general is a pretty high-risk
business; the figures I've heard are "10% break even, 1% are
profitable).

At this point I would never go back to the old model of print
publishing. All of my future books will be electronically
published on my site first, and will stay on the site. The
reasons for this are many:

* (Possibly most important) I get extremely valuable feedback
during the development of the book. I've never had any useful
feedback to speak of from the so-called technical reviewers
hired by a publisher, but I got an endless stream of incredibly
valuable corrections from readers.

* Readership is built throughout the development of the book.

* Publication dates are not so critical: if you are only printing
the book, then it's either available or not available, whereas
if it's on the web it's always available in some form, so
there's not so much of a compulsion to rush out a half-finished
piece of work in order to meet the needs of the readers.

* Books can be adopted by universities before they are printed. I
give permission for universities to print copies of the book
for their classes, as long as they sell to the students
strictly at the cost of printing (no profits==no hassles,
nobody battling over profits, etc.). When the book is actually
printed by the publisher, the university has already decided to
use it for their classes, and they tend to be reluctant to
change.

* I get a fair amount of mail from 3rd world countries saying "we
could never afford to buy this book here, but because it's
electronic we can still learn." I know this is of no interest
to publishers (pardon my cynicism) but if you're like me and
you want to reach people this really does the trick -- you're
making a big difference. On a more practical level, folks who
may not have money now but eventually will get to know you, and
when they can purchase they're much more likely to purchase
your book.

* In general, the fallout from doing this has been all positive
and nothing negative.

However, I've also heard the refrain -- mostly from publishers
who were interested in "Thinking in Java," trying to talk me out
of leaving it on the web -- that "we've tried this and it
negatively impacts book sales." Upon closer inspection, though,
what one discovers is very interesting. The experiments I heard
about turned out to be with books that weren't doing very well in
the first place, and lo and behold, if you put them on the
Internet then people get a chance to see what the book is before
buying it, and amazingly enough fewer people buy a book if they
discover it's not very good before buying it.

Another issue is the type of book. As Elliotte Rusty Harold
pointed out, "The Java Programming Language Specification" isn't
exactly the best litmus test. Personally, it's not the kind of
thing I need in paperback; in fact, I would much prefer to have
it electronically since I'm not going to read it cover to cover,
but rather search through it when I'm trying to figure out some
particular language quirk. In that case, I would have a free
version and then sell an enhanced electronic version that somehow
made it easier to use, and then finally a printed version. But
"Learning Python" is a book that I want to read, away from the
computer. That's what many, many folks said about "Thinking in
Java": they wanted the paper version of it, some folks got quite
belligerent when they couldn't get it after awhile.

I think there are books that you want to read as books and others
that make more sense as electronic books. But my experience is
that if people download the book (even the whole book; I know
some books publish a chapter or two, but giving the whole book
away doesn't seem to make any difference) and they like it, then
they want to buy it, and it doesn't seem to me that they buy it
because they want to give something back to me (like the 2
dollars or whatever makes that big a difference to me) but
because they want the thing printed out for them on paper (and
it's nicer, and in most cases cheaper, than if they printed it
out on their printer).

I think this is the wave of the future. In the past, publishers
controlled publishing because they controlled trucks and printing
presses, but now that is not (so) necessary. Which means that
publishers now must re-evaluate themselves and say "what do we
really offer" (of course, this includes publishing of everything
including conferences, which I am also involved in -- but that's
another story). That's a good thing, I think.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- guild -dot- net
puff -at- netcom -dot- com