RE: FWD: Negotiation questions

Subject: RE: FWD: Negotiation questions
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 00 10:01:26 -0500

The infamous Anonfwd is wondering about salary negotiations for a friend.

<snip>
>The salary offered is about 10k less a year than the median average for
>the area in which the job is located; however, the company is offering her
>a lump sum "bonus" for relocation expenses or "whatever she wants to spend
>it on" that brings the salary close to the average.

I found this sort of interesting. What is your friend's salary in relation to
the median for the area? If it's more that 10K less than the average, this
might be a great offer. I would try, however, to negotiate relocation and
sign-on bonus separately. Ideally, the company should pay the relocation fees
(movers, etc.) directly.

>Her immediate concern is: is it worth negotiating for more pay since the
>combined total of the salary and bonus equals about the average for the
>area? (She thinks most companies try to "lowball" on their first offer,
>so she's wondering if they are expecting her to counter-offer while hoping
>she doesn't.) I'd hate to see her sell herself short, but I also don't
>want her to risk the job.

She can't lose anything by negotiating a higher salary. Yes, HR often tries
to lowball on a first offer. About the salary + Bonus being close to the
average for the first year - if she doesn't get a 10K increase after the first
year, it's still 10K less than the median. Could be something to think about.

>Her secondary concern is negotiating for time to start. She can't rent
>because she has pets, but she won't be able to close on a house for at
>least 60 days. Is that too much to ask for, in anyone's opinion?
>Again, I'd hate for her to ask for too much and risk losing the job (it
>has great benefits, including tuition reimbursement, and the company is
>located near a school with a terrific Master's program). She probably
>could have someone watch the animals while she rents and looks for/closes
>on a house, but she'd rather not.

More likely than not, the company won't wait 60 days for her to come on board.

<snip>
>Any tips on how to ask for a higher salary - does she just say "I can't
>take less than $X"? She's supposed to call them this afternoon, so
>immediate responses would be greatly appreciated!

Your friend needs to determine what it would take for her to pick up and move.
How much the move will cost, the difference in cost of living, etc. and then
determine what is "fair" in terms of compensation for her level of expertise.
Remember, compensation can be accomplished through salary alone, or a
combination of salary, bonus, relocation expense and even stock options.

Hope this helps. Good luck to your friend.

jarnopol