Re: FWD: Negotiation questions

Subject: Re: FWD: Negotiation questions
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:42:05 -0400

Penny Staples wrote:

> If it were me, I'd ask to trade the bonus for a higher salary, and
> arrange for my own relocation expenses. Tougher in the short term,
> but better for you in the long-term.

That might be what it comes down to, but it isn't something you offer.

You just ask for the better salary, with the bonus. Justify the salary
with references to STC surveys or other data and the extra with
estimates on relocation cost. As far as what you say to them is
concerned, you expect both, and you want to get salary settled before
you talk about other things.

If I wanted the job for other reasons, like interesting location or
work, then I'd be prepared to settle for slightly less than median
salary (2 or 3K, not 10, and preferably with a written promise of a
review in a few months) and to split the moving cost. I wouldn't
tell them that up front, though.