RE: A Question for Newbies and Intermediate

Subject: RE: A Question for Newbies and Intermediate
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:32:38 -0700 (PDT)

[Sheldon Kohn asks:]
I am asking for advice and perspectives based on
your experience when you entered the tech comms
field. ... we made an offer and received an
acceptance from an entry-level person.
I have identified some tasks that our new writer
can perform immediately to start being
productive. ... I find myself wondering what
types of activities, projects, and assignments
are most useful.
[end original post]

I'd say you should do the following (not listed in any
order, other than the order in which my brain works
*g*):

* Take the writer around and introduce him/her to
the developers, QA folks, SMEs and others in the
know. Knowing who to turn to for what information
is extremely important.
* Allow the writer time to get used to the
environment (tools, network, climate, tasks). A
seasoned writer can jump right into a sink or swim

situation with no problem, as they usually bring
their own boat and oars). A new writer needs to
get organized and learn the nature of the work and

business.
* Give the writer small but important tasks at first

and build up to the big chores. Set loose
deadlines at first to allow for learning speed and

any errors along the way.
* Allow training time (on-site or off-site) in
various tools/technologies the writer needs to
know. Your options are wide open - time to play
with tools, formal external training, Web-based
training, internal coaching by developers/peers,
company-purchased books, etc.
* Include the writer in various development and
planning meetings. Knowing what's coming down the
pipe (or what's stuck in it) is extremely
important.
* Check in with the writer often at first and
encourage question-asking on the writer's part.
Asking questions is what we as writers need to do
best (well, and of course write).

If I think of anything else I'll send another message.
But this should get you started, and I don't doubt
you've already heard a lot of good advice from others
on the list. I'm on the digest, and I haven't finished
combing through it yet.

Also, don't be afraid to contact me directly if you
have any specific questions.

Good luck!

http://invites.yahoo.com