Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:42:58 -0600

"Kieffer, Barry" wrote:
> There is one problem with polls - who answers them.
>
> When I was working at Tektronix, there were some 40 writers all using
> Interleaf 5. If all 40 of them were to answer this poll, it would look like
> Interleaf 5 was the predominate authoring tool.
>
> How can a poll be done better and what is my great suggestion; I do not have
> a reply, sorry.

And, of course, nobody is claiming that the results are representative
of anything other than the responses of the people who choose to
complete the poll. Generalize these results to any other
population (particularly concerning any matters of significance)
at your own peril.

In other words, take the TECHWR-L poll results with a grain of
salt or 10, just as you would the results of any other
instrument measuring a self-selected population.

That said, they are kinda fun, huh? (Frame's at 40 and Word's at 38
right now...).

Eric