Re: Bullets vs. Numbers

Subject: Re: Bullets vs. Numbers
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: "Stephen C. Gillespie" <sgillespie -at- fedex -dot- com>, TechWhrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:43:58 -0700

on 4/25/00 6:06 AM, Stephen C. Gillespie wrote:

> Dear Techwrl'ers:

> The issue is with bullet lists (versus numbers) for
> all procedures in a software user guide.
>
> The manual is packed with discrete little tasks, each connected to a
> screen in the system. The problem (IMO) is that all steps are bulleted
> (vs. numbered).
>
> I maintain that each task MUST have (some kind of) sequence, i.e.
> proceed (usually) linearally to its end - the goal of the task (i.e. why
> the user wants to be there in the first place).

Hi,

I agree with what Lee T. had to say in his post, but I wanted to add one
thing. Often, I have to write about very long procedures. I want to detail
the little steps for the newbies, but I don't want to make it annoying for
the seasoned vets. So, I combine bullets in this way:

1. Set the ABC to LMNOP.
* Open the QRP.
* Push the FXY button.
* Select LMNOP.

2. Click A.

3. Define the necessary CDEFs.
* From the CD menu, choose EF.
* Click the JKL button.
* Select XYZ.
* Click OK.

That way, a seasoned vet that knows how to "Set the ABC to LMNOP" and
"Define the necessary CDEFs" can do it with out having five extra detailed
steps. However, the newbie, can follow the details contained within the
step.

That's about the only time I use bullets even when there is a defined order.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com
p. 831-761-6565
f. 831-761-2452

Sage Instruments
240 Airport Blvd.
Freedom, CA 95019
www.sageinst.com

If you can't explain it to an 8-year-old, you don't understand it.
-Albert Einstein