Re: Spelling & Grammarchecker Use Survey

Subject: Re: Spelling & Grammarchecker Use Survey
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: Brad Mehlenbacher <brad_m -at- unity -dot- ncsu -dot- edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:50:34 -0500

Here's my input....

1) Do you use either the spellchecker or the grammar checker on documents you
produce in Word? If not, why not?

I use Word's spellchecker because I am not the world's best speller and my
typing skills ain't all that hot, either. I enable the option to spellcheck as I
type. I'm the world's worst when it comes to doing that final spell check, and
this helps me catch a lot of the typos and spelling errors up front.

Do not use the grammar checker because it's next to worthless with software
documentation, and I don't much care for it for any other type of writing,
either.

2) If you use the spellchecker, do you usually go back over a document that Word
has spell-checked? Why or why not?

I like to glance over it, but I'm terrible about forgetting to do that last
spellcheck. Especially since I have the automatic spellchecker enabled.

3) If you use the grammar checker, when Word flags a potential grammar error, do
you generally accept its suggested changes? If not, why not?

Not usually....it tells me things like, "This does not look like a complete
sentence" for statements such as "To create a new customer:"

Or, it'll tell me a compound sentence is too long, or something else equally
inane. It seems to check for grammar on about a fourth grade level.

4) If you use the grammar checker, do you usually go back over a document that
Word has grammar-checked? Why or why not?

Not applicable, don't use it.

5) Have you noticed any significant problems with the Microsoft Word
spellchecker or grammar checker? What are they?

Limited vocabulary, mostly, I'm constantly adding words. I usually have to add
the plural of the word as well. Very lacking in industry terms - any industry,
as far as I can tell.

6) Can you think of any experiences/instances in using a spellchecker or
grammarchecker that produced interesting or surprising results (either positive
or negative)? Please elaborate briefly:

Accidentally clicking change instead of ignore or add....have gotten some
"interesting" changes to my text. Fortunately, I usually manage to catch them
before the document heads out the door!