Strategy when dealing with HR depts.

Subject: Strategy when dealing with HR depts.
From: Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 07:32:56 -0700

I recently had an interview for 4 hours (4 people, 1 hr each) and was taken out
to lunch. The key people expressed very positive words about hiring me as a TW,
this was a week ago. When I met with the HR person, his first comment was that
my requested salary (65k) was too high, so I indicated that 60K would be fine.
On the following Monday, I contacted him, and he indicated that he had to talk
with the key person(who said very positive things about me)and would get back to
me. Now it is Wednesday, and nothing.

Should I lower my salary request lower ( I can live with this since the job
would cancel my current 2 hr commute)? Should I request that a decision be made
by Friday( since another company as since inquired about my availability)?

Do most major firms in telecommunications offer a job in written form by mail,
instead of by telephone? It seems that if they were still interested, an offer
would have come by now, offering what they would be willing to pay etc.

Any advice out there?

Perry in Santa Rosa, CA.