RE: ESL and translation issues

Subject: RE: ESL and translation issues
From: "Jason A. Czekalski" <topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:32:47 -0700

Curtis R. Brautigam wrote:

<< All of these peculiarities of English grammar often make it difficult
for
non-native English speakers to get a full command of the language. It is

also difficult when it comes to translating English technical writing
into
other languages. >>

Hey Curtis, loved the linguistics lesson. I have dealt with many of
these issues before, but it's great to see it spelled out in that kind
of detail. I have personally been through the "writing-for-translation"
mill. One of the first major projects I did was translated into Russian
for tis first distribution. That was one dandy of a learning experience.

As for the original post: "Look upon this, and despair!", and the
lessons to be learned.

1. Have some sympathy for those who do not speak English as their
primary language. It is one of the most difficult languages on earth. We
take the language for granted. But it is not just those who already
speak another language who have trouble learning English. My wife and I
home school our children (all 6 of them), so we are very aware of just
how difficult English is to learn. The fact is that most English
speaking children do not have a solid grasp of the language until at
least 6th grade (12 years old), and they do not master it until at least
10th grade (16 years old). And these children start without any
preconceived notions about language. Besides, if we show show a little
understanding towards non-native speakers trying to learn our language,
they'll show some understanding when we mutilate theirs.

2. For those of us who speak English as our primary language, sites
like the one mentioned in the original post should show us what not to
do. We, as the "experts" in the language, need to set a high standard
for correctness. That means we must do two things. First, we need to be
sure that our work is of high quality. Who are we to criticize if our
grammar sounds like that of a 2nd grader? Second, we need to provide
help for those trying to learn English. I hear a lot of talk about
English being the "official" language of the US, and how everyone who
comes here should have to learn it. I then hear, often from the same
people, criticism of the way some foreigners mutilate the language. Hey,
they're trying! Either provide them with some help, OR SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
It takes a lot of guts for an adult to attempt learn a new language.

3. For those of us who write materials that will ultimately be used
outside the US, we have to learn how to write for the translator. It
means eliminating many of our colloquialisms, using a standardized
vocabulary, and keeping the grammatical structure as simple as possible.
It can produce some very dry, boring material, but that's the way it has
to be done. If you are in this business to stretch your artistic wings,
you're in the wrong place. You're writing technical documents, not the
next American Classic.

So now that I'm finished, I'll get down off my soapbox and put on my
flak jacket and helmet, Because I know there's going to be some incoming
on this one.

Jason