RE: filename-changing application

Subject: RE: filename-changing application
From: "Halter, Meg" <HalterMC -at- navair -dot- navy -dot- mil>
To: "'Susan Kirsch'" <susan -at- virtualcyber -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:47:20 -0700

Assuming all the files are in just a few directories, file manager is great
for this because it supports wildcard renaming. Unfortunately, it's been
hidden in the last several releases of windows. In WinNT, you can find it at
C:\WINNT\system32\WINFILE.EXE. In Win98, it's in C:\Windows. Once you've
opened it, go to the directory containing the offending files. Open file >
rename, type in the old and the new names (for example *.tmp and *.tmp3) and
let 'er rip. As far as I know, you'll have to repeat the process for each
directory.

Another possibility would be to use the DOS rename command. It also supports
wildcards, possibly in the directory as well as the file name. Can't vouch
for this, because I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.

-- Meg