O-ringing, was RE: The Quick and the Bad

Subject: O-ringing, was RE: The Quick and the Bad
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC -dot- COM>
To: "'Chuck Martin'" <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:20:06 -0700

[apologies to Eric; this isn't really waayy off-topic, just a tad marginal]

Cannot resist adding some clarification to O-ring hand-wringing...
even good ole R. Feynman gets (mis)credited with a putative solution.
In fact, it was a subtler but worse error in judgment.
For those who care, see below excerpts & links for The Whole Story!

It is the conventional wisdom of laymen that if you want a really great
engineer you get a scientist. For example, the presidential commission
investigating the Challenger disaster included the great theoretical
physicist Dr. Richard Feynman, but no engineers. As a result Dr. Feynman,
who never heard of O-rings before, was successfully misled in a cover-up and
the public never found out that the failure was due to engineering
negligence, a dimension error in the O-ring grooves and not to low
temperature.
[ from http://www.ljkamm.com/eng-sci.htm ]

see fuller account at:
http://hometown.aol.com/granius/challeng.htm

interesting note WRT the O-ring debacle is the Tufte tie-in:
Charts are also high density tools but if they contain
"chartjunk"--unnecessary and confusing decoration or colors--they will
confuse and mislead. [Tufete's] Visual Explanations reproduces many of the
original Challenger O-ring charts. Tragically, the critical data was there
but not presented so that the causal relationship between variables was
apparent.
[ from http://www.llrx.com/columns/guide9.htm ]