RE: Strategy when dealing with HR depts

Subject: RE: Strategy when dealing with HR depts
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:21:42 -0700

As at least one list member has pointed out, hiring delays can
occur for many reasons that have nothing to do with you.

However, one important consideration: delaying could be a tactic
to panic you into making a lower offer.

Maybe that sounds too Machivellian to be true - and, in the case
of HR people, it may be. But the waiting game is used in all
sorts of negotiations, including union contracts and reservation
of magazine ad space. The idea is slimy, but you can't rule it
out.

If a company doesn't get back to you quickly, just wait it out.
Inquire a week or two later, just as you would for any job.
Meanwhile, keep looking.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"He in a new confusion of his understanding,
I in a new understanding of my confusion."
- Robert Graves, "Broken Images"