Re: Screen Captures in UNIX

Subject: Re: Screen Captures in UNIX
From: TS <tenglish -at- banet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:55:26 -0700

Thanks everyone for your quick input! I was asking the question for someone
else, so I don't know the details. But, I will pass the following summary
along:

If using... Try...
Solaris Snapshot
(believe HP-UX and AIX have similar utilities.)

UNIX Snag-It & PaintShopPro (to reverse background and text)

UNIX xv (http://www.trilon.com/xv/xv.html)
written by John Bradley and can be purchased through him.
Fax 610-520-2042
bradley -at- cis -dot- upenn -dot- edu

X windows 1. From a terminal window, type xwd > mypic.xwd
2. To view the screenshot, type xwud mypic.xwd
I am working from memory, but hopefully those are the steps. Most UNIX
graphics programs can handle and convert XWD files. If yours doesn't,
get
the freely available GIMP, which I'm sure does.

CDE "Snapshot" and "Image Viewer"

Linux gimp comes with the Red Hat installation.

IRIX utility that ships with the product called "snapshot" that
enables you to do full-screen or regions.

Sun the Snapshot utility listed
under the Programs menu works

Unix GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/the_gimp.html)
It's awesome, it's free, and it's comparable to PhotoShop. The home
page has links to online tutorials and manuals.

XV and GIMP seem to be the favorites!