Re: Know the New Economy

Subject: Re: Know the New Economy
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:45:16 -0700 (MST)

>MS Word, and many other products, are tremendous successes and will continue to
>dominate BECAUSE they are the standard. Clearly the market has rendered a
>decision about these product: they are quality enough for everybody to use.
>That's democracy in action.
BS. There's no democracy in action here. If the knowledge workers had their
choice, they would vote against MS-Weird, and that vote would be decisive.
MS-Weird is the de facto standard in spite of, not because of, the people
who have to use it. Corporate management thinks the product used by
secretaries and other non-professional creators of documents is also
sufficient for professional writers who create long, complex documents.
Microsoft relies upon the ignorance of its corporate management customers to
maintain its MS-Weird's position as the de fecto standard.
>Again, this is a powerful lesson for tech writers. Just because you have an
>exquisite internationally recognized development methodology, an extensive
>style guide, and a well-ordered tech pubs team does not mean you will write
>good documents.
How in god's name does this "lesson" relate to the issue at hand--namely
that MS-Weird has become the de facto standard despite the fact that it's a
piece of crap?

>The equation for success in today's markets is much more complex that just
>"doing the right thing." You must possess a certain market finesse and be able
>to quickly produce and distribute products (documents). Many corporations fail
>because they are too damn slow at responding to market forces.
And one of the reasons they're slow to respond is the crappiness of
MS-Weird. There is solid evicence that products like FrameMaker and
FrameMaker+SGML can yield substantial productivity gains compared to MS-Weird.
>Many writers fail because they are too damn slow at responding to the volatile
>environment of today's business. Obsessing over every tiny detail in a document
>may FEEL like the responsible thing to do, but it is not necessarily the RIGHT
>thing to do. Whining about how FrameMaker is better may feel like the
>"professional, expert's" thing to do, but it does not get the job done. And
>nobody cares about your ideas if you cannot get the job done.
Why is it that almost any other profession (certainly including the
egineering profession) can demand the right tools if they're expected to do
things right and on-time, but professional writers are not? I think you have
your h___ up your a__.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.