Re: Freelancers: Copyright your work

Subject: Re: Freelancers: Copyright your work
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epamail -dot- epa -dot- gov>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:05:00 -0400

Michael Andrew Uhl wrote:

> I read this article and I find the court's logic lacking and its
> reasoning quite tortuous. How is that the magazine is copyrighted but
> not its contents? And, even given the court's refusal to give protection
> to the author, doesn't the magazine publisher deserve a remedy?
>
> I hope I'm missing something really simple here.
>
> -Mike

Your not missing a thing. While you have a common law copyright from the
instant of first publication, you have no enforcement rights unless you
register. The reasoning is not tortured, just followed the plain
language of the applicable statutes. Prior to reading the case I had
been under the impression that registration was merely notification.
But, it seems that registration is a prerequisite to bringing a lawsuit
to protect your rights.

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig.
You soon realize they both enjoy it.