RE: Convert Paper Documentation to Web Format

Subject: RE: Convert Paper Documentation to Web Format
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

Every now and then I have to duke it out with my ol'
buddy Sean. ;-)

> HTML is a crude layout standard, it does not support

> nearly as many formatting conventions as a word
> processing or DTP tool. In short, HTML has severe
> formatting limitations.

Standard HTML does. DHTML and JS-enhanced HTML allows
for more complex layouts. However, a lump of clay is
just a lump of clay, unless you apply your creativity
and make it something grand.

> Why do you want to convert the documents to post
> them on the web, what is your budget, staff, and
> time frame?

Well, I'd say it's an accessibility issue... and with
the right tools and expertise it doesn't require much
time or too many hands - money could be an option if
you don't know what tools/people you're looking for.

> For example, why cannot you simply put the Word
> files on an FTP server for people to download. Very
> few people don't have access to Microsoft Word.

For those using phone line modems, 'twould sucketh.
For those who dislike Word or for those hanging on to
Word 6 or 7, 'twould sucketh also.

> Printing PDF files might be the best answer despite
> your reservations about download time. Turn off all
> bookmarks, and turn on and turn up graphics
> compression, and text compression, don't embed any
> fonts, etc. If all else fails, try creating a
> compressed file, such as ZIP format for Wintel
> downloads. PDF will display the formatting of your
> original document and will easily permit the
> printing of the whole document, or part of it.
> Creating PDFs will take little time, relative to
> other conversions.

Sure, but after you turn everything off you lack the
benefits of an online document. However, as far as
distributing print-ready documents online, this is
much better than distributing Word documents.

> Consider if you create HTML format from your Word
> files you might end up creating many, many
> individual HTML and graphics files for each document

> you convert. You can ZIP these, so they are
> downloadable as one file, but managing these
> separate files might be a PIA. Also, I'm not sure
> the file size will be especially small with many
> graphics broken out into GIFs.

But if online viewing is your goal, this is a great
solution. And as far as managing your content, just
regenerate a new updated set of HTML and dump the old.

> What do we do? We distribute our books as PDF, as
> well as paper. Why? Because we can update the PDF
> quickly, it reduces our printing costs, the customer

> can print out the range of pages they want, and
> formatting is retained. Plus, we have few resources
> in terms of dollars, time, and staff, and PDF is an
> efficient compromise.

Yup, same here. But I throw HTML into the output as
well. Every medium has it's purpose. Print output is
great for desk-side reference and for throwing at the
wall/monitor/people. PDF is great for distributing
print-ready documents online. Their hypertext
capabilities are handy too... you can build a great
online doc set with PDF. But HTML has its perks too.
Sure, chances are that your output won't be as pretty,
but info's the main concern. An HTML library that's
accessible from the Web is VERY handy... especially
for those on the road who need up-to-the-minute
documentation.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts. Take them with a grain
of salt (or a shot of whiskey), as your needs may be
different than mine.

- Bill

http://im.yahoo.com/