initiating successful technical communications

Subject: initiating successful technical communications
From: "barbara hubert" <write_rhetoric -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 11:16:36 PDT

One for the aged, more experienced gurus out there:
The Scenario:
I have recently joined a software company that has decided to create a technical documentation department. Previously, a marketing rep pulled a couple all-nighters to create the first very turgid, condescending, poorly organized (I could say a lot more, but...) manual.

Tech support costs run around $3.5 million/yr.

Currently, the marcomm director is writing many of the manuals (because he's the only one with the skills to do so). These manuals offer no information in the headings, have no screen shots, and are simply condensed versions of what's already there.

We are putting together a report/proposal on how to find a direction for our department.

The Request for Info:
What I really need here is some advice--lots of advice, especially success stories. This is a wonderful company, that has a lot of potential. I want to see our new department succeed.