RE: System Requirements

Subject: RE: System Requirements
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:58:14 -0700

Ask what the other engineers have, then get a clone with a 21" monitor.

I'm serious; if your computer is a second-tier system compared to your
programmers, then the message being sent is that the tasks you have are
secondary in importance.

The system I just got for home use is more powerful than you'll probably get
and far less expansive that the one you will get:
650MHz Pentium III
128MB RAM
40 GB hard drive
8MB nVidia video card
sound card & speakers
DVD-ROM drive
CD-RW drive
56k fax modem
10-baseT network card
DSL modem
$1499

That's enough to run any and all the applications you mentioned--unless
you're running Windows NT, in which case I'd boost the memory by at least
64MB. I was thinking about adding a Zip drive, but with a CD-RW drive and
both CDRs and CDRWs at less than $1 each, there's probably no need.

--
"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled carpenters
don't get insulted when told they are not architects, but highly skilled

Chuck Martin, Sr. Technical Writer
cmartin -at- serena -dot- com

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.