Re: Employee experience dilemma....

Subject: Re: Employee experience dilemma....
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:13:08 -0700 (PDT)

"Atticus Fisher" wrote ...

> We are a small doc department (three full time and a few part-time)
> in, as is typically the case these days, a fast-growing company. Recently,
> another full time writer was brought on board. Let's call her Lisa. Lisa is
> young, probably no more than 23, with no technical writing experience.

> Regardless of the circumstances, I have found her to be very bright,
> knowledgeable about our products, and possessing of what appear to be decent
> writing skills.
>
> Are we being jealous, petty, and difficult, or do you guys believe
> we have legitimate concerns? Anyone else experience this type of thing?

Yes. You are being petty and difficult. People have to learn sometime. Be a
role model not a tyrant. The only way this person will ever learn anything is
if she makes mistakes.

People learn and grow when they are challenged. The strong, smart, and
resourceful will tackle a project and do their best. Morons bitch and complain
about how they're needs aren't being met. I'd be very pleased if an
inexperienced employee tackled a project with all his/her effort. That is
commendable, considering most people would cross their arms and have 19
simultaneous conniptions if they were asked to do something they didn't
understand.

You may be surprised. Given a little support and encouragement - Lisa could
start outgunning you.

Furthermore, Junior, Senior, MFA, MS, BA - it is all BS. Results matter more
than titles. I know plenty of PhD graduates who are total morons incapable of
anything other than being a total pain in the ass. Just because you have 190
years of experience and a big certificate on your wall don't mean
snap-squat-one. Slice it, dice it, go into a frenzied tantrum - you have to be
able to put your knowledge to work helping others and producing results to be a
valuable human.

Helping other people is never a waste of time. Knowledge and skill are a pure
goods. Considering all the stupid, wasteful things that companies spend money
on (like blathering consultants and idiotic methodologies) spending a little
extra time to get another writer up to speed is money well spent.

Andrew Plato

Stop Eating Hamsters: http://members.home.com/aplato

http://im.yahoo.com/