RE: Drawing with FrameMaker

Subject: RE: Drawing with FrameMaker
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:49:23 -0700

Larry Kollar <Larry -dot- Kollar -at- arris-i -dot- com> wrote:

>Stuart Burnfield wrote:
>
>>... does anyone know of
>>a strong vector-based drawing tool similar to Illustrator that runs
>>on Linux/UNIX?
>
>I just went looking the other day....
>
>Killustrator: <http://wwwiti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~sattler/killustrator.html>
>
>Sketch: <http://sketch.sourceforge.net/>

Since I've evaluated both these products, I thought I'd add a
little more:

Killustrator is part of KOffice, the free software office suite.
You will probably have trouble running it from any other desktop,
although you might get lucky. Both products are still in
development, but Killustrator is currently the more advanced
program.

If it's CAD capability you want, do a search for QCAD. QCAD is a
fairly complete program.

Oh, and besides Freshmeat, keep an eye on SourceForge and Dave's
Central.

It's worth emphasizing that "free" in this context doesn't mean
"no cost" (although it's true that you don't have to pay for free
software), but "you have a right to copy, change and
redistribute." The reason I stress this point is that people
might think that "free" means "cheap" or "not very good." In
fact, there's some extraordinary stuff being written in the free
software community these days. Much of it is as good or better
than what you pay for. On the whole, the community is just
starting to design full-featured productivity software, but in
the next year, these products should mature.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"I'll never get to heaven, no matter what I do,
I'll never be a blue-eyed boy, although my eyes are blue,
And I will not work, and I will not work, and I wll not work for
you."
-Ian Telfer, "The Generals Are Born Again"