Re: Number List with Only One Item?

Subject: Re: Number List with Only One Item?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:57:41 -0700

In our very limited usability testing, we found that by doing this, you
actually confuse your users. They expect another step and think you have
made a mistake and forgotten it or it will appear later in the text.

We do a bold paragraph format with space above to stand out that says To
print a file. The 1 step under it has a bullet. That bullet is unique in
the
manual in that it is not used any where else (typically it is a triangle).
With the labeled procedure and the special bullet, we have good results.
People seem to understand that.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org

| |
| | For example:
| |
| | To display the xyz window:
| | 1. From the abc menu in the def window, select xyz.
| | The progam opens the xyz window.
| |
| | Another example:
| |
| | To download the results of your query to Excel:
| | 1. Click the Download Query Results to Excel button in the abc window.
| | The program exports the results of your query to Microsoft Excel and
xxx.