quick question about title change

Subject: quick question about title change
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:23:42 -0500

Hi all -
Not to begin a huge discussion of titles and what they mean and what value
they possess, etc., but I do have a simple question.

If you are a lone TW migrating to a position of greater responsibility
(editing rather than writing manuals, project management, editing &
producing public documents beyond the scope of user documentation,
conducting usability testing, and managing a new writer) and hiring a new TW
(for a documentation group of two within a larger Marketing department), and
you have received a promotion and are considering a title change to reflect
your new duties, would you choose Technical Documentation Manager or Senior
Technical Writer and Editor? Or something else entirely? In looking down the
road a few years to future job searches, do you feel that either of these
titles would hurt your chances or, conversely, give you a greater
competitive edge? Might employers be hesitant to hire a Doc Manager for a
Senior TW or Tech Editor position? Does a title like Doc Manager imply a
larger department, or does it appear fair when this person manages one TW
and is responsible for all project management tasks related to documentation
(schedules, deadlines, production oversight, meetings with other departments
and groups)?

Just hoping for some feedback, drawn from the many years of experience
represented on this list, as I approach this decision. And please, for those
of you who believe that thinking about titles is a waste of time and energy,
don't flame me. I'm not obsessed with titles myself, but I am giving this
question some consideration. Thanks.

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications
cmason -at- infinitec-com -dot- com
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing
2000 IABC Merit Award for Technical Writing