Re: Political Correctness

Subject: Re: Political Correctness
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

My, my. Why am I not surprised that the use of language would be such a
sensitive issue on this list? I've enjoyed the twists and turns of this thread
very much.

My whole point is that as writers WE make choices in the language we use. We
can't fob that responsibility off on some nebulous "they" who either define
some more nebulous thing called "political correctness", nor can we get away
with saying "That's the way it's always been written/said/done." The language
evolves in response to the needs of the culture in which it lives. If you don't
believe me, go read something written 100, 200, 300 or more years ago. The
farther back you go the more you need footnotes to explain what the words mean.

We are living in a time when we can see the evolution of our language. I don't
like all the ways it is changing (I'll mention in passing the loss of the
distinction between "less" and "fewer" just to name one thing I don't like),
but it is changing whether any of us like it or not. Terminology that was
acceptable becomes unacceptable, declase', or otherwise undesireable. Ranting
against it won't change a thing.

Further, I agree that we SHOULD be conservative when advocating, or even
considering, changing terminology. Personally, I don't think Technical Writers
should change terminology, but we should be aware of when terminology is being
changed around us and move with it. Just because "It has always been said that
way" is no justification by itself for keeping the language the way it was.

We may be Technical Writers, but that doesn't somehow make us less as Writers.
One way *I* judge whether someone is a writer is whether the choice of words is
important to that person. Word choice is always important to a writer, and word
choice is as important in Technical Writer as it is in any other kind. Perhaps
more important. We are teaching, describing, and referencing information our
audince needs.

I was going to respond to some specific comments that were made, but I think
this email is long enough. Besides, preaching is thirsty work. <g>

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems