RE: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)

Subject: RE: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)
From: Tom Eagles <teagles -at- DERIVION -dot- com>
To: "'Tracy Boyington'" <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>, "Tech Writing List (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:42:08 -0400

Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org> wrote:

> > As tech writers, IMHO, it is our job to inform our readers about the
> > product. Period.
>
> Our decision to use or not use a particular word
> should be based on our readers -- do they understand
> it? Does the industry use it? If the industry
> stops using a term because enough users find it
> confusing or offensive, it would be ridiculous for us
> to refuse to follow along simply because
> someone on techwr-l accused us of being "PC."

Well, of course. Actually, I don't think we disagree. We need to consider
the industry, our employer and the audience when writing. Obviously, we
can't change EVERYTHING just because a minority of people are offended by
terminology. These issues are often difficult to resolve, and the easy thing
is to strike off those words that "might offend" someone. The difficult
decision is to maintain the terminology and take the time to explain it to
those who are offended.

There are symbols that are sacred in one religion, but are a historical
reminder of a horrible period of time to another religion (the Swastika, for
instance, with Hinduism and Judaism respectively). That's not an easy thing
to resolve. But both sides have their reasons for feeling as they do. I
just think that we have to be careful that we don't become a caricature
reminiscent of Animal Farm or Fahrenheit 451 in the way we conduct
ourselves.

> But if our customers and industry stop using that
> terminology, it doesn't matter if we agree with that
> decision or not. We have to go along.

We take our marching orders from our bosses, our industry and our audience.
Sometimes they are one and the same. Optimally, document the product so that
the product is usable by the audience. Period. So, of course, what you say
here is true.

> > > The fact that "master/slave" is still
> > > in use doesn't mean it's a bad thing to check every once
> > > in a while.
> >
> > Check for what? That hard drives still have
> > dominant/submissive tendencies? <g>
>
> Well, I know my hard drive is submissive, as it seems to like
> a good whack now and then. :-)

I hear ya! If I don't whack my hard drive regularly, it becomes a floppy. ;)
<ooo, my bad>

I think the point here is made. You've heard enough from me on this, I
trust. <g>

Tom.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Tom Eagles,