Translating to Asian languages

Subject: Translating to Asian languages
From: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:35:20 -0400

Howdy!

I've got a new client who wants marketing, documentation, and the website
translated into several European and Asian languages. I don't foresee
getting the European languages translated, then inserting the plain text
into the files myself being a problem, but the Asian languages are giving me
a headache before I've even started.

I've downloaded the font packs from MS, got 'em installed, but still can't
see them in my browser. How am I going to get source text in Japanese,
Korean, and Chinese, put it in the HTML documents (much less the print
docs), and know it's even there if I can't see it?

I'm a control freak, so please either a) set my mind at ease and tell me
that translators aren't going to jack up my HTML, Frame, or any other type
of document or b) give me advice on making the cut and paste from
translation service's source to my documents less painless.

Appreciate any tips on: a) troubleshooting font issues in all browsers, b)
specific known issues with fonts in IE, c) typical source file types for
Asian languages (I'm presuming I can't open them in Notepad, but maybe I'm
wrong), d) tips on choosing a good translation service (this is my first
time working with international localization of documents).

Thanks to all!
Justin

Justin Cascio
Pro-Logic & Adjustable Choke