Re: Translating to Asian languages

Subject: Re: Translating to Asian languages
From: John Yunker <jyunker -at- fxtrans -dot- com>
To: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:12:55 -0400

Justin,

For what it's worth, I wrote a paper that addresses many of these issues. It's rather long -- about 21 pages -- but does illustrate how to "Asia-enable" your browser and so forth. It's located under "white papers" at: http://www.fxtrans.com/resources/

The authoritative book on this subject is "CJKV Information Processing" by Ken Lunde.

The good news is that FrontPage 2000 offers very nice support for Asian languages, esp. when used on Win2K platform (as it's Unicode based). Let me know if you need more info.

At 02:35 PM 5/17/00 -0400, Justin Cascio wrote:

Appreciate any tips on: a) troubleshooting font issues in all browsers, b)
specific known issues with fonts in IE, c) typical source file types for
Asian languages (I'm presuming I can't open them in Notepad, but maybe I'm
wrong), d) tips on choosing a good translation service (this is my first
time working with international localization of documents).

John Yunker
<jyunker -at- fxtrans -dot- com>
ForeignExchange Translations, Inc.
Phone: 401.454.0787