Re: An Engineer has infected my young mind!

Subject: Re: An Engineer has infected my young mind!
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- wowfabgroovy -dot- net>
To: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 23:26:31 +0100

Dear Sierra,

You are the technical author. You are the one writing the manual and you know your audience. If the product is difficult to understand, then it needs simple steps to lead the user in the right direction to understanding the product. I entirely agree with you on that point. Our software is quite complex and complicated, too, so I understand your problem quite well.

The engineer has no business telling you what to put into the manual. You are not telling him what to put into the program, are you?

Anyway, how about a compromise? Create a User Guide which contains the most important information the user needs to get started and the most commonly performed tasks either just as step by step instructions or (in my opinion preferable) in tutorial form. You can then add a reference manual that contains every single bit of information the user could ever want to know about with references to the relevant sections in the User Guide. This is what we do, not because the engineers want us to, but because some of the managers say our customers want this...

With this approach you should be able to make everyone happy. However, if your boss is happy with the work you do, you should trust your own judgement. Most engineers think that their programs are so easy to understand that nobody really needs a manual anyway... There are, unfortunately, very few programmers/engineers that understand that no product can be sold successfully for any length of time if nobody knows what to do with it or how to do this...

Good luck,

Sybille

At 20:26 18/05/00 , Sierra Godfrey wrote:

The engineer insists the manual should be presented as a reference manual, with all the information there, and very little tutorial-style steps. I disagree--the product is complex and difficult to understand.
I feel the only way a customer will be able to wade through it is to know the necessary actions that must be performed to get it working and maitain it, and follow short steps to achieve them.

The engineer feels manuals should be read two to three times over, because the information is densse, and include all points. I disagree. There are different types of readers, to be sure, but my readers will not know anything about this product and will need a lifeboat--user-friendly, short steps. Not all the information at once, which they won't know what to do with.

Sybille Sterk
Email: sybille -at- wowfabgroovy -dot- net
Web Site: www.wowfabgroovy.net
"This writing business. Pencils and what-not.
Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it." -- Eeyore