Re: FrameMaker quiz

Subject: Re: FrameMaker quiz
From: randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- powerconv -dot- alstom -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:25:43 -0700

SNIP>
We are going to be hiring a second writer in our company and while the job
description doesn't require FrameMaker, I would prefer someone with some
experience. I would like to be able to give candidates a short quiz to
determine their skill set. In hopes that I don't have to reinvent the wheel,
does anyone have anything like this already that they would be willing to
share?
SNIP>

Sit the person sit in front of a monitor and have the person open Frame and
create a new book with a generated TOC. Give the person a folder with a single
fm file to start from. Have the person do everything to set-up the file and TOC
(numbering, prefixes, etc.) and modify something on a master page. Give them a
list of required items to check off as finished (check the work habits here).
Stand back and see what happens. Seems pretty basic, but this will at least show
you they can do the most important start-up tasks and if they know how to get to
the master pages (just the concept of master pages threw me a curve ball at
first). From there they can learn the rest if they need to.

Randall Larson-Maynard
Technical Writer
Alstom Schilling Robotics
Davis, CA, USA
randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- powerconv -dot- alstom -dot- com
http://www.schilling.com