them engineers

Subject: them engineers
From: Uma Catherine <uma_catherine -at- usa -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 22 May 00 05:23:02 MDT

First of all, thanks for being there to share a lonely moment in my
professional life.
Until last year, the organization I work with had only one technical writer -
he had moved into the role from marketing because there was no technical
writer in the organization. Last year, it woke up and decided that it needed
world-class documentation for its world-class products. I was recruited for
the job. (I had been an instructional designer making CBTs before this.)
Setting up processes is at the bottom of the priority list in a place where
engineers don't have much of a clue why a technical writer is required at all.
While the processes are still incipient, is it necessary to be unpleasant to
engineers to ensure that they give inputs on time and do not try to tell me
how to do my work? Also, can anyone give me guidelines on what to include in
processes so that unpleasantness can be avoided.
TIA,
Uma.