Re: them engineers

Subject: Re: them engineers
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:42:20 +0530

Oops!!

Please ignore my reply to the list. Engineers have an attitude problem because of how well IT has been faring in the market. They believe that they are at the heart of this sector, and they are not very wrong.

You could earn their respect by:

1) Learning what they do, how they do it and speaking their lingo.

2) Using your vantage view of the user to help them make the application more user-friendly.

3) Ask them for inputs, and if these do not meet your requirements, give them a format in which these inputs can be fed back. Once they see how you manage information, they will learn to respect your professionalism.

Respect cannot be one of the terms of employment. It has to be a personal achievement. Remember that you must be respected as an individual first, and then let that spill over into your profession. The next person to take up that job will benefit from the respect you have injected into your department. Much the same as we inherit the disdain that some of those that went before us left behind.

Regards. Have a wonderful day.

eddy