RE: them engineers

Subject: RE: them engineers
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Edwin Skau'" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:09:24 -0400

Oops,

To be a successful company over the long-term, the powers-that-be need to
recognize ALL contributions. Otherwise the writers, QA folks, accountants
and others simply stop contributing. Tech writing is no less important, and
no less at the heart of this IT business than engineers/developers. No
matter how bug-free the code is, if nobody knows why they should use it and
how they can use it, it doesn't amount to squat for the bottom line.

I earn the respect of my developer peers everyday--they come to me when
faced with design issues and interpreting the specs written by product
managers; they answer my questions because I don't need hand-holding; and
they know I will listen and use their input to improve the UI and the
documents.

Now, if we could earn the same paychecks and the same recognition by the
high mucky-mucks, we probably wouldn't need to vent so often.

MTC

Connie Giordano
peer-respected doco diva