Re: Learning C Programming Lang

Subject: Re: Learning C Programming Lang
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:21:41 -0400

C wrote:

> Fellow Tech Writers:
> I'm a student in technical communication seeking advice on a good book that
> may help me learn C language on my own.

Whatever else you may use, get Kernighan and Ritchie "The C Programming
Language", second edition. Usually just called "K&R", sometimes "The New
Testament" with 1st edition as Old.

Best C web site I know:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/index.html

> I'm especially interested in those
> that come with compilers, as I do not have access to one. For the purpose of
> doing exercises in the text, do these compilers really work?

Install Linux or one of the *BSD Unix derivatives (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
each with a www.<whatever>bsd.org web site). They all come with C and C++, make,
debuggers, and lots of example code.

Or, if your stuck with Windoze, go to inprise.com, formerly Borland. They have
recently made their C++ compiler available for free download.