RE: Writing Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Writing Technical Documentation
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "Kenny, Jill" <jill -dot- kenny -at- corp -dot- bellsouth -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 00 10:12:37 -0500

Jill Kenny reports:
>I'm being asked to write and assist in writing highly technical documents
>for our software development center. These documents include technical
>design docs, architectural overviews, application roadmaps, and development
>methodology descriptions. Do these types of documents fall under the
>category of technical writing? And if not, any suggestions on how to
>gracefully bow out of these tasks.
<snip>

YES, YES, YES!!! these documents DO fall under the category of technical
writing. As for bowing out gracefully, you shouldn't. Stretch your
limitations and learn how to write technical specifications. It opens up a
whole new world for you.

>In my years of technical writing, I have always been involved in developing
>user-end documentation, i.e., help files, user manuals, etc. So this is
>completely new to me.

I think it's been brought up on this list before how some companies/clients
are requiring technical writers to be more, for lack of a better term,
"technical". This is your opportunity to grow as a writer and add another
category to your bag of tricks and resume. Don't shy away from it!

hth

jarnopol