FWD: Are my docs un-useful?

Subject: FWD: Are my docs un-useful?
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:55:45 -0600 (MDT)

Hi guys. I work for an eBusiness Consulting firm. We provide custom
applications and network solutions for our clients. In T.C. school, I was
always taught that my goal as a good techwriter is to provide useful
documents that meet the needs of your audience. Here's my dilemma:
My audience often does not think they need my docs, but my project manager
thinks they do.

And I'm not always convinced of the usefulness of some of the docs we are
doing. I hear comments like "Well, we know they'll never read it," "They
wondered why they received/paid for X document," and "They always want to
see $ costs in these docs, but we shouldn't put them in." I don't like
the feeling that we're spending time perfecting documents that no one
uses, which lack information the clients want, or which are really just
part of project development (project approach aids).

In addition, it seems like some of our documents are substitutes for a
good, clear understanding with the client (i.e., we use our Vision/Scope
document to explain our project methodology, but it is delevered after the
project has already started and does not seem to get read.)

My project manager (not a tech writer, but who tells me he gets comments
like the above from our clients, and who still nobly plods on, encouraging
me to crank them out) believes in providing our clients with documentation
during/after every phase of a project. Now, this makes sense to a point,
but after reviewing some of thse docs with clients they respond with "I
paid for this?/Why did I want this?"

In my opinion (and I'm a lowly grunt around here) we ought to snag clients
by proving to them that we understand not only how to provide them a good
business solution, but also that we are competent at running successful
projects. We DO provide good services (in my opinion) because we do a
thorough, competent job using our best business practices. But if the
client doesn't see a need for/ understand why we do what we do, then where
does that leave us? Where does that leave me, as the writer of the unread
though meticulously put-together documents? What can I do to help make
sure clients want what they need to have a successful project?
I'm wondering if we need to spend more time soliciting clients'
expectations/ requirements pre-kickoff, so that we understand what they
expect during the project. Understanding their expectations as far as
etiquette/protocol seems like it would lead to a smoother project.... but
I don't see the "pre-contract" client; our sales managers do...
Any advice from people who've been in this type of dilemma?

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.