Down the Rabbit Hole with an Invitation to the Mad Tea Party

Subject: Down the Rabbit Hole with an Invitation to the Mad Tea Party
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:19:59 -0700

Suddenly, I find the thread about telecommuting long distance
extremely important to me.

This is the situation: I've received a job offer halfway across
the continent. I'm talking here about tickets to the big game.
No, change that: not only tickets, but box seats complete with
complementary smorgasbord, massage, and the 80 year old Napoleon
brandy. It's a chance to work and hobnob with the stars of my
chosen field, and, as you can probably tell, it's making me a
little giddy. The company is willing to have me telecommute, but
wants me to fly in (at its expense) a couple of days every month.

I'm comfortable with the mechanics of telecommuting, and, from
past experience, I know to expect lots of phone calls and
e-mails. However, the monthly office visit is going to mean a
major change in lifestyle.

What I'd like to know is: does anyone else have a similar
arrangement? If so:

-are you satisfied with it?
-is the monthly office visit too stressful for you or your
family, especially if you have young children?
-how do you plan your visits so that you can get the most done in
the shortest time?
-did you have any unexpected problems with the arrangement? If
so, what are they and how did you overcome or minimize them?

Maybe I shouldn't be so cautious, but the offer looks too good to
be true, and I'd be more satisfied if I could see a downside or
two before I made a decision. :-)

[Note: I tried to send this message a couple of days ago, but I
think that a browser crash prevented it from going out. If I'm
mistaken, my apologies for the duplication].

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"I should have known it from the start,