RE: GUI vs Hand, Was: estimating the cost of building a web si te

Subject: RE: GUI vs Hand, Was: estimating the cost of building a web si te
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:56:13 -0400

Thanks, John:

An interesting thread. I am in the process of choosing a GUI web-authoring
tool after years of scripting HTML by hand. Why? Efficiency. The HTML 4
standard, such as it is, is easy to follow, but scripting by hand takes a
while.

I fully expect that I'll have to test and tweak, a little, the bloated code
of a so-called WYSIWYG editor but, with 56k modems, cable modems, ISDN,
asynchronous this, that, and the other, I am not very worried about having
to download extra code. The main problem is certainly browser differences
and browser wars. Hence, testing and tweaking. To me, bloated code is
insignificant compared to poorly sampled graphics and poorly designed sites.
I am willing to permit bloat to more efficiently design an easily navigable
site that downloads fairly quickly.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com