RE: Take this engineer and shove it [Long]

Subject: RE: Take this engineer and shove it [Long]
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:08:58 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Giordano, Connie
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 5:06 PM
To: 'Jim Shaeffer'; TECHWR-L

Jim,

Some interesting arguments, but I'd suggest (based on your paraphrasing, and
knowing that I haven't read the book) that Mr. Moore does not extend his
analysis far enough.

If the goal of a good software product is to be so intuitive that little or
no documentation is required (which many IT types espouse these days), then
user advocacy, usability and principles of good UI design MUST come into
play when the software is still in the early design stages. Technical
Communicators, by experience, talent and training, are generally better
suited to these design and communication tasks than programmers. This in no
way belittles the importance of good code. But bug-free code is utterly
useless if the UI is bad. Traditional documentation can't make up for bad
design and bad coding, but it can enhance embedded user information and good
UI, which is the way things are trending in many software applications.

Since I spend about half my time doing UI design work, then my role as
information developer & usability advocate should be valued equally with the
developers'. I can solve problems during design, that would cause endless
headaches for support, and lots o' extra development time in the next
release.

My two cents (if I was a programmer it'd be valued at about ten bucks)
Connie Giordano.