Re: GUI vs Hand ...

Subject: Re: GUI vs Hand ...
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:55:46 -0400

R A Downey wrote:
> > In light of the capabilities of some GUI web-authoring programs, it is no
> > longer fiscally responsible to code web pages by hand.
>
> I agree with this statement 100%. However, it is far too easy to assume that
> any old GUI will do.

It is also far too easy to assume that any old text editor will do.
When people think "text editing" these days, they tend to think "Notepad".
This is like thinking "Model T" when you think "automobile".

There are text editors that are far more fully featured. I do all of my
HTML coding in Emacs, and it enables me to make changes across multiple
files, execute complex macros, and write filters based on regular
expressions.

This also forces me to code consistently, since if I fail to follow HTML
guidelines properly, my macros will tear up my files.

If you want to upgrade to Ferrari-level text editing, talk to some
developers and find out what editors they use for their code. I bet
very few of them use Notepad.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu