RE: online degree completion

Subject: RE: online degree completion
From: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:55:05 -0700

Greetings,

Unless you graduate from a recognizable school (Penn State, Howard, Yale,
UCLA, etc.) no one has ever heard of your school, so why tell them the
school was an online degree completion school.

Online schools started out as diploma mills, but now there are any number of
high quality online degree completion schools. A number of recognized online
business schools advertise in the Wall Street Journal.

The biggest problems with online schools is accreditation. Make sure that
the school you are interested in is accredited by an accreditation group
that you can verify.

The other problem with online schools is keeping yourself motivated. I could
never do the online school thing because I would wait till the last second
and do the bare minimum, and loose out on a good education. Also, I would
miss the interaction with people.

My opinion: If you can find a good online school, stay motivated to complete
the course work, and be proud of your accomplishments and the degree you
receive it is well worth it.

My .02

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer
ADC Telecommunications
The Broadband Company
barry_kieffer -at- adc -dot- com
503.350.6072

<snip>
I am researching several online degree completion programs and wonder what
opinons you good people may have on this topic.
Bryan K. Johnson </snip>