RE: Not Technical Enough

Subject: RE: Not Technical Enough
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "Sarah O'Keefe" <okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com>, "Free Framers" <framers -at- omsys -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:14:49 -0700

At 12:48 PM 6/1/00 -0400, Sarah O'Keefe wrote:

Mike Wiethorn wrote:
>Some employers are also being taken in by the belief that ANYONE can be a
>technical writer, whether they shovel out horse stalls, or they have a
>doctorate in Physics. This is especially true of literature majors....a
>knowledge of great authors is good, but it really has nothing to do with
>truly good tech writing (I mean, writing like James Joyce in a document
>about microchips?). The glut of tech writers flooding the market has put a
>hit on the rate that truly qualified writers are being paid.

Actually, I've found the opposite is true. Because there are a number of
not-so-wonderful tech writers out there, when our clients discover that
we're actually competent, they're willing to pay just about anything for us!
When the economy starts to go down and layoffs occur, which of these
conflicting views prevails will be determined. As a tech writer/writing manage/
consultant for more than 35 years, who had an engineering degree and
experience as a military electronics technicianb before becoming a tech
writer, the outcome is entirely predictable for the most obvious reasons.

The English Lit majors will be out on the street, wishing they'd
settled for an academic sinecure or editing position.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.