re: marketing/technical

Subject: re: marketing/technical
From: Brian Clements <bclements -at- fpix -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:06:31 -0500

Christi, My take on this question is that with the proliferation of
start-ups in the last several years, there has also been a proliferation of
writers who do double (or triple or quadruple) duty, not just writing
manuals and technical reference materials, but also helping out with
marketing and sales materials, policies and procedures, even business plans,
etc., as is certainly the case in my position. Isn't that what being a
"Renaissance Communicator" is all about? And you're right--increasingly,
"marketing" writers have to be just as adept as "technical" writers at
understanding and analyzing technical information in order to accurately
describe/sell their products. My suspicion is that "technical writer" refers
to such a wide range of work that it's become primarily a term of
convenience that will gradually be phased out in favor of more specific
monikers.

bc