RE: Orlando Conference and Exhibits

Subject: RE: Orlando Conference and Exhibits
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:19:10 EDT

(Man who reads in DIGEST mode often gets in the last word 8^)

I agree with my colleague Sean. In the scheme of things, STC is not a big
organization, and we're usually consigned to second-tier locations. Well,
this was a first-tier location, and my family and I had a blast! I found the
conference first-rate, I made some new friends, and I enjoyed several
world-class amusement parks (albeit my favorite was Universal Studios). Hey,
did you play the Fantasia Fairways miniature golf course near the Swan and
Dolphin? It was set up as an actual course in miniature. The round of the day
was 69--I shot 80 and considered myself lucky!

If you're going to go to Walt Disney World, you're going to be immersed. It
was expensive for sure (the Dolphin was actually a shade OVER $200 a night),
and excessive, and I can sympathize if the sheer artificiality of it all
bothered you (yeah, the grass was real, but up north we call that variety
"crabgrass" 8^), but I must say everyplace we went was absolutely clean,
totally convenient, utterly safe, and comfortable to the point of excess. In
four days of park-hopping my family didn't see so much as a rowdy (unless you
count the stout woman who boxed my wife out so her friends could get on the
bus--open your eyes, ref!).

A note about the cold conference rooms: It must cost a lot of money to keep
rooms cold in Orlando. I noticed that even the elevators were cool. By
contrast, after the conference, we moved down the road to a low-price hotel
chain for the rest of the week, and their elevators weren't
air-conditioned--which meant they were HOT.

(Full disclosure: As a stockholder, I am one of the ones getting rich off
Disney--very, very slowly 8^)

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong