RE: Should we hire this guy?

Subject: RE: Should we hire this guy?
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 00 13:45:53 -0500

Dave Neufeld wonders if he should hire <fresh, young graduates with English as
their first language are not good writers> for a technical tech writer
position.

First, can you spare the time to teach this person how to write technical
documentation? You mentioned that <snip> <technical writing is a "new" career
option to him...> I take it then that this person is an English major who had
given no thought to entering the tech writing field. Is that really the type
of person you want to put on your next project?

I don't intend to sound petty, but with the prevalence of spell checkers out
there, there is absolutely no reason to turn in a writing sample with
misspelled words. Same with grammar.

Finally, can you afford, in terms of deadlines, to take on a
not-even-wet-behind-the-ears rookie? How important is the project? How much
time, in terms of teaching, editing, etc., will a rookie take from yours and
the other writers' projects?

If this is also a question of budget, please remember that you get what you
pay for. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a temp-to-perm experience
technical writer from a reputable agency.

just mho,
jarnopol