Web navigation areas (was Re: STC Annual Conference trip reports?)

Subject: Web navigation areas (was Re: STC Annual Conference trip reports?)
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Jane Credland" <jane -dot- credland -at- quintus -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:27:48 -0400

Actually, one workshop presenter recommended using both the left and the right
side as navigation bars.
The basic ideas (as I remember) were:

* A site usually claims the top banner for branding/ID purposes (or for icky
banner-ad display) and often for moving between major areas of the site. One
example of top banner navigation is the gfn.com site.
* A site usually claims the left navigation area for moving between major areas
of the site (which could also be repeated by the top banner). One example of
left navigation is the MSNBC.com site. Or heck, even Outlook provides an example
of left navigation.
* Therefore, if you've got a big ol' long-scrolling mess o' text, chunk it, and
use the right-side navigation area to use for moving between chunks of the text.
Or you can use the right-side area to list sidebar articles.

Worked for me. Tho come to think of it, what do sites do to accomodate non-Euro
readers, who often don't scan in the Euro-standard left-right, top-bottom
method?