Re:Printers

Subject: Re:Printers
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:44:22 -0400

Glen Warner wrote:

>Just my $.02 here ... but if you are planning on doing any work with
>.pdfs, now or in the future, HP's PCL language (a "postscript
>language emulator") does not play well with Acrobat Distiller.

Glen,

HP's Printer Control Language (PCL) predates PostScript and has nothing to do with PostScript emulation. The HP printers that were the subject of the original post come with two different drivers. The PCL driver is for people who don't deal with PostScript. The PS driver is for people who do.

Some current HP printers use PS emulation and some use true Adobe PostScript. There MAY be some obscure circumstance in which the emulation causes a problem, but so far I haven't found any, especially with respect to PDFs.

The bigger problem is that Acrobat doesn't communicate with some of the advanced features on HP's newest printers. The biggest problem I've encountered (and other people have noted it, too) is the inability to print collated sets. The new printers have a "Mopier" feature--RIP once print many--but Acrobat won't use it.

Dick