RE: Client from Hell: Seeing the Reality

Subject: RE: Client from Hell: Seeing the Reality
From: Gwen Thomas <GThomas -at- PaySys -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:41:33 -0400

Michelle Wolfe wrote:
"I guess I don't see the difference in "I do not trust [contractors]" and "I
do not trust contractors *to know what makes my management happy.*"
> If your contractors are working on-site, with day-to-day contact with the
> client and the client's management, they may know more about what "makes
> [my] management happy" than you do, wouldn't they? "

GT:
Maybe......... in a company of 12 where everything happens in one room and
everything the executive team does is known by all.

But I could spend all morning listing topics that in a company of any size
would never make it down to "writing pit." Sometimes rules (especially about
security) are arbitrary, and sometimes they're the dread
we've-always-done-it-this-way, but sometimes they stem from an incredibly
vital purpose.

Someone else wrote about the company's customers pulling out if security
requirements aren't met. Companies can be liable if client's information is
not protected. E-mail systems can be brought down by a few users'
unwillingness to use protection. And, corporate espionage is alive and well,
even in the most laid-back of industries.

I don't think any of us should assume we could walk into a company and
intuit what was important to those a couple layers above.

Gwen Thomas
Corporate Knowledge Manager
PaySys International, Inc.
Maitland, Florida, U.S.A.