Re: Graphics Programs: Which is the best?

Subject: Re: Graphics Programs: Which is the best?
From: "Daniel Hall" <misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "Writing List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:58:09 -0700

Paul asked about software "(f)or creating web graphics, which is
better--Photoshop or Corel draw?", and Susan replied, "you're comparing
apples and fire trucks."

Paul: Susan is correct - CorelDraw is a vector (line) art creation program,
whereas the Adobe product works in raster (bitmap) format. However, In my
other life as a technical illustrator and web designer, I have successfully
created both jpg and gif files using both programs, so I'm not sure I can
agree with the last part of her post :)

As always, the answer depends on what you're trying to accomplish, and on
how much time and effort you're willing to spend learning the products and
producing your graphics. There is also the issue of cost. Currently,
Photoshop (Full) costs in the $400-$500 range, depending on the discount
your retailer can get for you. The Corel product costs significantly less.

If you're going to be using ready-made images, and are merely scanning and
resizing/cropping them, something cheaper than either of these programs
would be fine. Paint Shop Pro ($99) comes to mind. For more robust bitmap
editing - scaling, recoloring, etc. or for fancier effects, Photoshop is
clearly better. OTOH, if you're creating your own graphics from scratch, and
you're not an artist, Corel might be a better choice. The ability to draw,
color, blend and otherwise tweak vectors makes for easy graphic creation.
Also, the vector art scales much better than bitmaps do - so resizing a
large image in DRAW before exporting it to gif or jpg makes a much cleaner
image than resizing the same image from within Photoshop.

Corel's DRAW Suite comes with an excellent bitmap editor, similar in form
and function to Photoshop. And for those already used to the DRAW interface,
much more intuitive than Adobe's Apple-type interface. In addition, Corel
offers a full 30 day money back guarantee, so you can try the DRAW Suite out
and return it if you're not happy with it. BTW, I'm not connected to Corel
in any way, I just really like their product.

You can e-mail me off list if you'd like more information or have other
questions. Both products are excellent at what they do.

Dan
danhall -at- consultant -dot- com