DOORS Software for Writing Requirements

Subject: DOORS Software for Writing Requirements
From: "Hightower, Mary" <mary -dot- hightower -at- corp -dot- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:28:18 -0400

Hello, all!

I need to draw on the experience of those writers who write requirements.

Brief background: A QA department is starting up a Tech Docs group. Among
the tools they (the QA people) are selecting is DOORS(R) Enterprise
Requirements Suite (ERS) from QSS. Their current plan is to have the Tech
Writers use this tool for writing requirements.

What I would like to find out is:

1) How long have you been writing requirements?

2) Have you ever used DOORS? If so, for how long?

3) What are the pros/cons of using DOORS?

4) Who primarily uses DOORS (writers, developers, Project Managers, etc.)?

Until this past Friday I had never seen or heard of this tool (I looked at
the QSS web site this morning). The Director of the QA group likes DOORS
because it is compatible with the other QA and testing tools his dept. uses
(it was also mentioned that DOORS is compatible with FrameMaker).

He knows little to nothing about Tech Writing and doesn't have any Tech
Writers that he can discuss this with (he understands the hazards of
selecting a tool for someone when the someone(s) aren't represented). I
offered to find out for him the general opinion and experience of Tech
Writers regarding DOORS. He appreciated this and is eager to find what
y'all think.

Thanks!

MEH
Atlanta, GA